My Gratitude This Festive Season


I was gleefully eating Raya cakes and biscuits when suddenly I recalled an old scene, same scenario but different outcome which happened 3-4 years ago.


 
(Flashback 3-4 years ago)

She was one of my good friends, heavily pregnant and happily eating all the Raya food served at my Mom’s open house. You can see she was glowing with happiness being served with smorgasbord of delicious traditional Raya food.

Then as she was about to take a second helping, her mother-in-law scolded her in front of everyone saying how greedy she was and how embarrassing it is to bring her to people’s house and etc. My mom and I were really shocked. What kind of a person would scold a pregnant woman who wants to eat? It’s not like my friend is a fat repulsive pregnant pig. She was as skinny as a stick for crying out loud!

My mom gently said it is okay, there’s plenty of food for everyone and my friend can eat as much as she can. I joked (and at the same time hinted) that maybe my friend was not fed properly at home and that is the reason why she’s so hungry. The mother-in-law loudly declared that my friend has been fed more than enough at home and that she eats a lot like greedy pig every hour of the day.

I was speechless. I truly was. Never would I imagine there’s a human being in this world as cruel and as heartless as that woman. I mean, my friend was clearly PREGNANT 8 months long or more that time and to tell a pregnant woman to NOT eat is like telling her to stop breathing all together!


 
As I scoop another spoonful of curry into my plate on the first day of Hari Raya, I gave a silent thank to God for giving me such wonderful, supporting and loving family and in-laws who encourage me to eat, whatever, whenever and however I want.

Syukur alhamdulillah…







2 Comments:

Messy Mummy said...

OMG! I might just cry that sec for being treated like that. her MIL is super cruel. I remembered when i was pregnant my family or even in laws will ask me to eat as much as i can and everything that i wish for so that i wont be craving for long... Sedih for your friend :( but syukur untuk diri sendiri :)

Balqiz said...

Kan? Syukur alhamdulillah. Not many of us are so lucky...

 

Copyright © Balqiz 2012 | All rights reserved | Blog Design by Krafty Palette.